While I was developing this blog I got a very nice error right after setup the IIS 7 on my machine:
Cannot open database
Login failed for user 'IIS APPPOOL\davidsonsousa.net'.
Why does it happens?
It happens because once you create an Application Pool (in my case davidsonsousa.net), the IIS will create a virtual account with its name (IIS APPPOOL/davidsonsousa.net) and run the Application Pool's worker processes under this account. And, I suppose, as the database doesn't have this account setup you will get this error. [more]
How to fix it?
Before you run to your SQL Server and create this account there I would advice you to do the following:
- Open IIS Manager
- Go to the Application Pools node
- Right click on the Application Pool you would like to change and select "Advanced settings..."
- Select the "Identity" list item and click the button with the three dots
- In the new window, select the Identity Type "LocalSystem" from the combo box
- Confirm everything and restart the website.
Now you will be able to run your website without any problems.